Sweet Potato and Black Bean Cottage Pie (Recipe)60 minutes reading
- 21oz Sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 8,05oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14oz tinned tomatoes
- 5,25oz button mushrooms
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 1 handful coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- A dash of almond milk
- A pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Glug of olive oil
Preheat the oven on the grill setting, at 390˚F/200˚C.
Boil the sweet potato cubes until tender - this should take about 30 minutes. Drain and leave to one side.
Mix together the onion, garlic, a pinch of salt and drizzle of olive oil and fry over medium heat for 5 minutes - until the onions soften.
Add the paprika and sliced spring onion to the mix and sauté for 2-3 minutes, making sure they are coated in paprika before adding the mushrooms.
Add the beans to the mix, coating them in paprika. Sauté for a further 5 minutes. Then add the tinned tomatoes, maple syrup, lime juice, pepper and coriander, mixing everything through.
Mash the potatoes with the almond milk and a pinch of salt.
Spoon the bean mix at the bottom of a baking tray and top with the sweet potato mash. Place in the oven to grill until it starts to crisp on the top – about 20 minutes.
Serve immediately by itself, or with our delicious kale salad on the side!
FYI: Sweet potatoes pack a powerful nutritional punch. In one medium spud, there is over 400% of your daily vitamin A requirement.
Just browsing? See our most popular articles
Start today! Join TheOptimal.me
COMING SOON: Our guided 21-day course, First Steps to Physical Freedom, will introduce you to IMRs and help you make movement a habit.
- Unlimited access to Integrated Movement Routines (IMRs)
- Tips and advice from our experts
Full access free for 30 days.